Effective Date: 15 February 2016
B) INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The Policy collects information from you in two ways: 1) directly from your input and 2) automatically through use of our services.
Information You Provide
The types of personal information that the Service collects directly from you may include:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, country or zip code;
- Educational and professional background information;
- Usernames and passwords;
- Comments, feedback, posts and other content you submit to the Service; and
- Interests and communication preferences.
In order to access certain content and to make use of additional functionality and features of the Service, we ask you to register for an account by completing and submitting a registration form, which may request additional information, which we use for to customize MDCalc for you.
If you choose to register and sign in by using a third party account (such as your Facebook account), the authentication of your login is handled by the third party and the Service will collect your name, email address and any other information about your third-party account that you agree to share with us at the time you give permission for your account on the Service to be linked to your third party account.
Information Collected Automatically
- Internet Protocol ("IP") address used to connect your computer to the Internet;
- Computer, device and connection information, such as browser type and version, operating system, mobile platform and unique device identifier ("UDID") and other technical identifiers;
- Uniform Resource Locator ("URL") click stream data, including date and time stamp, referring and exit URLs, search terms you used, and pages you visited or searched for on the Service; and
We may use and disclose information that does not reveal your identity or permit direct association with any specific individual, such as browser and device information, anonymous usage data and aggregated information, for any purpose, except where we are restricted by law. If we combine non-personal information with personal information, the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
You can control cookies through your browser's settings and other tools. However, if you block certain cookies, you may not be able to register, login to the Services, access certain parts of the Services or make full use of the Services.
C) USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may use your personal information to:
- Provide the Service to you, such as allow access to or delivery of our products or services, process or fulfill an order or transaction, or administer surveys or promotional programs;
- Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments or concerns;
- Provide technical, product and other support and help keep the Service working, safe and secure;
- Offer you customized content and individualized personalization of the Service to make it more relevant to your interests and needs;
- Enhance, evaluate and improve the Service, its advertisements and promotional campaigns and our products and services and to develop new products and services;
- Identify and analyze usage trends, including for the purposes of research, audits, reporting and paying royalties and license fees to third-party content providers;
- Notify you about changes or updates to the Service and our products and services; and
- Provide you special offers, promotions, surveys, advertisements and other information about the Service as well as products, events and services of ours, our affiliates and non-affiliated third parties such as societies and sponsors.
We may on occasion also match or combine the personal information that you provide with information that we obtain from other sources or that is already in our records, whether collected online or offline or by predecessor or affiliated group companies, for the purposes described above.
D) DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may share your personal information with:
- Relevant agents, representatives, joint ventures, and entities for which we are acting as an agent, licensee or publisher, such as societies and sponsors;
- Applicable suppliers and service providers, including editors, reviewers, credit card processors, customer support, email service providers, mailing houses and shipping agents, and IT service providers; and
We also may share your personal information with our affiliated group companies worldwide and with societies, sponsors and other non-affiliated third parties that wish to send you information about their products and services that may be of interest to you as determined by your choices in managing your communications preferences following the process described below.
If our Services offer a content database or learning service ("Subscription Service") and you access the Subscription Service through an institution-sponsored subscription, your personal information and certain usage data gathered through the Subscription Service, such as the number of items you downloaded, any non-subscribed items you accessed, and test scores, may be shared with your institution for the purposes of usage analysis, subscription management, course management and testing and remediation. If your institution is a corporation or other business entity, additional usage data, such as the types of records you viewed and the number of searches you ran, also may be shared for the purposes of cost attribution and departmental budgeting.
We also may need to disclose your personal information:
- to respond to or comply with any law, regulation, subpoena, court order or other legal obligation;
- to enforce and protect our rights and properties;
- to detect, investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud or other malicious activity;
- to protect the rights, property or safety of our users, employees or others; and
- if MD Aware, the Service or a related asset or line of business is acquired by, transferred to or merged with another company.
The Service may let you post and share personal information, comments, materials and other content. Any information you disclose publicly may be collected and used by others, may be indexable by search engines, and might not be able to be removed. Please be careful when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
E) YOUR CHOICES AND COMMUNICATIONS PREFERENCES
You can manage your communications preferences when you register with the Service, by updating your account preferences, by using the "opt-out" or unsubscribe mechanism or other means provided within the communications that you receive from us or by contacting us. We reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to the Service whenever necessary.
F) ACCESS AND ACCURACY OF YOUR INFORMATION
The Service may allow registered users to access their account information and make corrections or updates upon log in at any time. The accuracy of such information is solely the responsibility of the user. You may also request access to other personal information about you that may be held in the Service. If you request to deactivate your account or delete your personal information, we will endeavor to fulfill your request but some personal information may persist in backup copies for a certain period of time and may be retained as necessary for legitimate business purposes or to comply with our legal obligations.
G) DATA SECURITY
MD Aware takes precautions to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction through the use of appropriate administrative, physical and technical security measures.
Our website is scanned on a regular basis for security holes and known vulnerabilities in order to make your visit to our site as safe as possible. Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. We implement a variety of security measures when a user enters, submits, or accesses their information to maintain the safety of your personal information.
H) CROSS-BORDER TRANSFER OF YOUR INFORMATION
Your personal information may be transferred to other countries for processing. By using the Service you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, which may have different personal data protection rules than in your country.
J) THIRD-PARTY LINKS
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third-party products or services on our website. These third-party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
L) Compliance with State and Federal Laws
California Online Privacy Protection Act
According to CalOPPA we agree to the following:
How does our site handle do not track signals?
We honor do not track signals and do not track, plant cookies, or use advertising when a Do Not Track (DNT) browser mechanism is in place.
Does our site allow third-party behavioral tracking?
It’s also important to note that we allow third-party behavioral tracking to improve our users’ experience.
COPPA (Children Online Privacy Protection Act)
When it comes to the collection of personal information from children under 13, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts parents in control. The Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the COPPA Rule, which spells out what operators of websites and online services must do to protect children’s privacy and safety online. We do not specifically market to children under 13.
Fair Information Practices
The Fair Information Practices Principles form the backbone of privacy law in the United States and the concepts they include have played a significant role in the development of data protection laws around the globe. Understanding the Fair Information Practice Principles and how they should be implemented is critical to comply with the various privacy laws that protect personal information.
In order to be in line with Fair Information Practices we will take the following responsive action, should a data breach occur:
We will notify the users via email within 7 business days. We will notify the users via in-site notification Within 7 business days. We also agree to the Individual Redress Principle, which requires that individuals have a right to pursue legally enforceable rights against data collectors and processors who fail to adhere to the law. This principle requires not only that individuals have enforceable rights against data users, but also that individuals have recourse to courts or government agencies to investigate and/or prosecute non-compliance by data processors.
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them, and spells out tough penalties for violations.
We collect your email address in order to provide you with occasional calculator or service updates, which you can easily opt-out from.
To be in accordance with CAN-SPAM we agree to the following:
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can email us at email@example.com and we will promptly remove you from ALL correspondence.
MD Aware, LLC
ATTN: Privacy Officer
93 4th Ave. #19
New York, NY 10003